Notes to Editors
Coats is the world’s leading industrial thread company. At home in some 50 countries, Coats has a workforce of 17,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2019 were US$1.4bn.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company leads the way around the world. It provides complementary and value added products, services and software solutions to the apparel and footwear industries. It applies innovative techniques to develop high technology Performance Materials threads, yarns and fabrics in areas such as Transportation, Telecommunications and Energy, and Personal Protection.
Headquartered in the UK, Coats is a FTSE 250 company, a constituent of the FTSE4Good Index Series, a participant in the UN Global Compact and a Network member of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. It has also committed to a long-term target to reach net-zero emissions by 2050, the highest level of ambition on climate under the Science Based Target initiative.
- Each year Coats makes enough thread to go into 8 billion pairs of jeans – that is one for every person on the planet
- Every month Coats produces enough thread to stretch all the way to the sun
- More than 450 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- More than 100 million car airbags are made using Coats’ Performance Materials thread every year
- In 1879 Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in his experiments to invent the light bulb
- Coats’ flame retardant Performance Materials threads can withstand temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees Celsius
- Coats Epic Ecoverde is the world’s first 100% recycled premium sewing thread
To subscribe to news releases as they are added to the website go to Email Signup
ESNE, University School of Design, Innovation and Technology, is a higher education institution based in Madrid, Spain, with over 1,800 students enrolled in the different Bachelor and Master degrees: Graphic and Multimedia Design, Audiovisual and Illustration Design, Fashion Design, Fashion Business and Communication, Interior Design, Product Design, 2D and 3D Animation, Games Design and Development, Web and App Development, and User Experience. As a highly specialised campus, all the students share the facilities and spend time together, in such a way that interdisciplinarity is much more invigorated.