New high tenacity wiring harness technical yarn developed
- 14 Nov 2013
Coats plc, the world’s leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, is launching Aptan xtru, an innovative new high tenacity, coated, engineered yarn. Manufactured from high temperature resistant PVC polymer, it can withstand extreme mechanical stresses as well as contact with chemicals and fuels and is specifically designed for vehicle harness wiring systems used across sectors including automotive, marine and aerospace.
Aptan xtru has a high tenacity nylon core for strength and is designed to create the braided protective cover over vehicle harness wiring systems. The flame retardant PVC coating is available in a wide colour range with either a matt or gloss finish and there are also options for antimicrobial coating and colour matching, as well as other substrates and coatings.
Andrew Morgan, Research and Development Director, Coats plc, said: ‘Our customers are constantly reviewing and improving the safety features of their vehicles and so Coats must continue to innovate and improve existing products to extend their range and use. Aptan xtru is a prime example of working with an industry sector to help improve safety standards.’
Aptan xtru is supplied on specific types of tube that fit braiding machines used in the production of vehicle harness wiring systems and is manufactured under automotive manufacturing quality assurance specifications, including TS 16949.
To find out more about Aptan xtru go to: https://coats-dev.addison-group.net/Products/Threads-and-Yarns/Aptan/Aptan-XTRU
For more information please contact:
Kristina Blissett, Communications Manager email@example.com
T +44 (0)208 210 5084, M +44 (0)7714 539887
Notes to Editors
With a rich heritage dating back to the 1750s, Coats is the world's leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, at home in more than 70 countries, employing over 20,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2012 were US$1.7bn.
Our well-known brands and strong relationships with customers and consumers mean our products and services meet current and future needs. Our company-wide understanding of our business partners and consumers, coupled with the deep expertise of our people, builds trust and certainty.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company continues leading the way around the world: providing complementary and value added products and services to the apparel and footwear industries; extending the crafts offer into new markets and online; and applying innovative techniques to develop products in new areas such as tracer threads, aramids and fibre optics.
- One in five garments on the planet is held together using Coats’ thread
- 75 million car airbags are made using Coats’ thread every year
- Coats produces enough yarn to knit 65 million scarves a year
- In three and a half hours, Coats makes enough thread to go to the moon and back
- 300 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- One million teabags using Coats’ thread are brewed every 10 minutes
- Thousands of surgical operations take place every day using Coats’ thread
- Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in 1879 to invent the light bulb
- Coats produces enough thread to reach around the Equator every 11 minutes
- Coats is the second largest and fastest growing global zip manufacturer
To subscribe to news releases as they are added to the website go to www.coats.com/media